Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I need a name for this fly


Hook clear HMH tube, Olive connector tube, hook of choice (Owner SSW size 4)
Head small sculpin helmet
Body barred olive zonker strip
Front fins  barred olive soft hackle tips, or olive hen back feathers
Gill Coloration red Ice Dub
Under body light olive uv ice dub spun in dubbing loop and palmered
Collar barred olive schlappen
Wing black holographic flashabou, barred olive soft hackle

I was tying some of the Headbanger Sculpin patterns with my buddy Jody when I began thinking about how to utilize these new sculpin helmets on a smaller fly. So I started googling sculpins to see what they anatomically looked like. The key features were the barred look, the flat wide heads with eyes looking upwards, flat bottom of body, distinctive front fins, and a body that tapered from front to back. I also wanted to make a tube fly. So I was inspired by the Sculpzilla, my Sexzilla, and the headbanger sculpin.  The fly is only 2-2.25 inches long. I took the fly out to Deckers and caught two fish on the swing in January! So it fishes. The pattern could also be tied an a shank or a stinging trailer, I prefer keeping the hook pointed up so you can ride on the bottom. note: eyes fall out if not secured by epoxy or superglue.

I need a good name for the fly. So far the two names that people have given me are Big Gulp Sculpin and S'GULP'N, both work But I'm all ears to new ideas. please don't steal this pattern and call it your own!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment