Wednesday, January 23, 2013

recent creations


Captain Glitter Pants (a rip off of Cap'n hook) and BH change up baetis (a cheap rip off of JUJU baetis)

 Inspired by Joe Nicklo's glitter midge, uv pearl jam, and Kingrey's Cap N Hook
(Joe I'm sure you are trying to figure out how this is similar to the glitter midge at all)
the newest version of this fly (not shown yet) has a more segmented look

new version
purple holo flash
red hook
purple glitter nail polish
black thread
stripped peacock herl
sally hansons
A mix of the newest version of the change up baetis and Craven's BH JUJU Baetis. Also influenced by the legend Shane Stalcup

Copper tungsten bead
Curved shank hook
brown olive microtubing
hen back tail
olive or chartruese thread
black thread
brown flourofiber wings/legs
different colored holo. flashabou for wing case
5 minute epoxy (i am not a supporter of clear cure goo, since my uv light doesn't work always, and the clear cure clouds and falls off. and epoxy at Ace hardware is so cheap).

Its easy to follow in the footsteps of great tiers like Craven and Kingrey. I think of all the patterns I have ever created only my mysis has been original, and even that wasn't that original.

(note: I have no problem with people taking others' patterns, tweaking them and renaming them, but if you do, give credit to your inspirations, and the original tiers. I have recently had multiple events in my fly fishing life feel like my intellectual property was being abused, one regarded one of my fly patterns, another has to do with secret spots I showed friends how to fish very productively and even after the "code of secrecy" talk, they have shared that information with no filter to everyone they know. The worst part is all of this happened by people I considered close friends. The saddest part is they probably don't know they did it. To those who understand this ethic in fly-fishing I think the most of you guys...Brent Boyd, Jody Kramer, Court, Tim Hall, Austin, Danny, Matt Miller, Wes, Ben, Shea Gunkel. You guys get it, and I want to fish with you all. If you are not listed and consider yourself a close fishing friend of mine,  prove me that I'm wrong and full of shit. I understand its exciting when you hook and land big fish, and you wanna share that experience, but if someone helped you think about them; if you found it on your own, think about what it would be like if everyone was fishing in the exact same spot as you with the same techniques and didn't have to pay their dues to figure it out...I would really like to share more of my tying and fishing pics, but I don't want to feel like I'm being walked on. That's enough of the rant. And for those of you who are productive be very careful how you share your lifetime of learned skills).

8 comments:

  1. Amen. My advise if you don't know what you're doing - hire a guide. We got to get paid somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, rubber has arrived, finally, and it ain't no super duper 8. Get urself west before school starts. Or lets go spring steelheading, or monster spring rainbow swinging kenai style. Btw caught two on the swing at deckers with the switch rod.

      Delete
  2. Charlie .. Your new blog looks great! Great to see you posting again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, I'll need you to give me a tutorial on how to fish pueblo better...love your blog as well

      Delete
  3. Nice! I like both patterns. That CPG is a sweet pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan. I will post the better version of the CGP. It has a palmered stripped peacock herl over the flashabou. The difference is you are one of the tiers that influences tiers like me. Sorry for the grainy quality The photos were taken by i-phone since my brother has my nice camera at the moment

      Delete
  4. Hey Charlie,
    That captain glitter pants is sweet! People blowing up spots arent..
    Hope all is well man
    -danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, the CGP using herl is better, ill send u a pic when I tie a few more. yes, the worst offense of hotspotting I have seen lately is from january 6th on moldy chum... "dinosaurs in the midst"

      Delete